Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cornbread and Grapefruit


For breakfast this morning I made cornbread and grilled grapefruit. I have been eating scones from a local favorite in Berkeley, the Cheeseboard Collective, that are made with cornmeal. As with everything from the Cheeseboard, their scones are so delicious! So I thought I could try to make my own similar creation with cornbread. I found a simple recipe and added dried cranberries and topped it with some carob chips. The recipe is almost vegan (I used an egg). It came out super yummy and was so easy to make! Now I have a delicious treat to have with coffee!

Grilled grapefuit? I have never heard of such a thing! I have a fantastic vegan cookbook by the Candle Cafe (an awesome restaurant in NYC) and this is the last recipe in their book. You take some freshly minced ginger and add it to suger and put it ontop of a grapefuit cut in half. Then you place it under the broiler for about 5 minutes or so (until the suger/ginger carmelizes) and its ready to eat. I wasn't sure what to expect, since I have never had warm grapefuit. The first bite was so delicious! The grapefruit mixed with the sugar and ginger tasted so sweet. I will definitely make this again.

No comments: